27 February 2008

Patricia's Mystery Material

Patricia tells us: 'I'm not sure if this is paper. I got it from a sweet that I got at Christmas.



It's shiny.'

Max then comments: 'I think it's foil because paper doesn't feel the same way and also foil is silver and paper is white.'

Dangi says: 'I think it's metal.'

Max adds: 'It is metal; foil is made of metal.'

Then Joe starts thinking: 'I think it's made out of plastic because it feels more like plastic than metal. Plastic feels warm.'

Well, what can it be? Paper? Metal? Plastic?

Here's what we found out:
  • First we tried the tear test. Everyone was given a small piece of foil to tear. Joe tried to tear the mystery material. We found that the foil tore very easily



    but the mystery material was too tough; it was impossible to tear.



  • Next we tried the squish test. Everyone was asked to squish their piece of foil very hard. Joe tried to squish the mystery material. We found that the foil stayed squished up tight



    but the mystery material opened up again.



    So what do you think our mystery material is? Is it paper? Is it metal? Is it plastic? Is it something else altogether?

1 comment:

K E said...

I think you are describing cellophane. I found this definition: "A thin, flexible, transparent cellulose material made from wood pulp and used as a moisture proof wrapping." Do you think that's what you have?

Good Grief! It's wood!