25 January 2008

Investigating the properties of plastic - in a roundabout way!

We have been taking a closer look at plastic. We already know that there are a LOT of things that are made out of plastic. We decided to go on a plastic hunt to see what we could collect; we planned to use it in our art lesson......

By the time Thursday came around, we had a HUGE plastic sack full of goodies; and as luck would have it, for lunch that day we had yoghurt, which came in plastic pots!

First we tipped all the different plastic things onto the carpet and took a careful look at them, keeping in mind their different properties. Then we decided what we wanted to make and chose the things that had the properties we needed. Finally we set to work - with rolls and rolls of plastic sticky tape.

Look what happened when we were talking about it afterwards!

Tanmay described what he made:
This is a robot and its eyes are long. The head is made out of plastic knives and its tummy is made of a plastic milk bottle.



‘I like your robot because he has black eyes,’ said Azri.

Then Azri described what he made:
This is an animal that goes under the sea. I used a plastic knife for his hair and he has a tiny tail made from a plastic lid.



‘I like what you have used on it,’ said Per.

Then Per described what he made:
This is a parachute and it is made out of a plastic bottle and three plastic bags.



‘I like the bottom part of the parachute,’ said Justin.

Then Justin and Matthew described what they made:
This is like everybody and it’s someone that walks with hair behind him. It’s made from plastic bottles and lids and straws.



‘I like the way you made the hair,’ said Matthew.

Then Matthew and Chris described what they made:
We made a rocket and it has stands and boosters and also it has a way that they can get out. Two of the boosters are made out of plastic straws and the big booster is made out of a plastic cup and the stands are made out of plastic yoghurt pots.



‘Well I like the way you put the boosters on,’ said Rekik.

Then Rekik described what he made:
Well I put a booster there and then I put plastic knives on the rocket. It’s made out of plastic.



‘I like the way you made the booster,’ said Giulia.

Then Giulia described what she made:
I made a rocket and it is made out of plastic. It has 4 windows made out of plastic. I put some fire on it. I used the red plastic net from oranges.



‘I like the way you put the fire on it,’ said Fiona.

Then Fiona described what she made:
I made a fairy and she is mostly made out of plastic knives. Her eyes are made out of plastic straws and her wings are made out of plastic knives.



‘I like her face,’ said Isabella.

Then Isabella described what she made:
I made a boat and it’s made out of plastic. I used a plastic knife to make the paddles.



‘I like the way you used the knives,’ said Patricia.

Then Patricia described what she made:
I made this snail and it is made out of plastic ribbon for the tail and the head and I used plastic bottle tops for his shell.



‘I like the way you did the shell,’ said Evie.

Then Evie described what she made:
I made a rocket and it has a yellow window made out of a plastic lid and the plastic boosters have fire made from three plastic straws.

‘I like the way you made the boosters,’ said Danah.

Then Danah described what she made:
This is a puppet girl and she’s mostly made out of plastic. Her hair is made out of a plastic label and her tee-shirt and skirt is made out of a plastic bag.



‘I like the way that you made her hair,’ said Sofia.

Then Sofia described what she made:
This is a flute. It’s made of plastic straws. I asked Danah to give me a piece.



‘I like how you made the bits for your fingers,’ said Maya.

Then Maya described what she made:
This is a crocodile and I made it and first I took this plastic grape box and then I put this plastic yellow straw and then I attached it to a parachute.



‘I like how you did the body,’ said Michelle.

Then Michelle described what she made:
This is a girl and it is made out of plastic and her hair is made of plastic ribbon.



‘I like the way you made it,’ said Swati.

Then Swati described what she made:
I made this and the first thing that I did, I put a plastic yoghurt bottle over here and then I put a plastic straw inside it and then I put sellotape over it.



‘I like the bottle,’ said Naoya.

Then Naoya described what he made:
This is a rocket. I made it out of a plastic yoghurt bottle.



‘I like your rocket,’ said Umar.

Then Umar described what he made:
I made a rocket with fire down here. I made it with plastic bottles and a very long pointy part.



‘I like your rocket,’ said Vaishnavi.

Then Vaishnavi described what she made:
This is a telephone. This is made out of plastic. I used plastic knives and plastic bottles and plastic straws and a plastic label.



‘I saw the same pictures in a cartoon and I laughed and laughed. I like your telephone,’ said Tanmay.

Then Tanmay described what he made:
This is a robot and its eyes are long. The head is made out of plastic knives and its tummy is made of a plastic milk bottle..........

No comments: